A craft blog about using up all the craft supplies I have stored in my basement. It literally looks like a Michael's store down there!

Monday, June 30, 2008

Getting Ready for the 4th


My kids and husband are heading to a ball game on the 4th of July, so I had to think of a way to get them on TV so I could see them. Then my Family Fun magazine came in the mail. Here is the page that I used in my magazine: Crown & Glory. This will give you the exact directions that I used. We couldn't find red, white and blue bendy straws, but I did find decorated bendy straws at Target for $1.99 each. Each kid used a full tube of 20 straws to make their hats. I had wired stars in the basement, and already had red & blue duct tape (I have every color they make).

The straws had the decorations on the bendy part of the straw, so I un-peeled each decoration, and the kids re-taped them onto the other side of the straw. It took awhile, but they were excited still.

When all the straws were done I measured each kid and laid out a piece of duct tape to the same size. The kids laid out their straws in the patterns that they wanted. Then we smooshed the straws between another layer of duct tape. The contracting color of tape was to sandwich the two other pieces on the bottom. I think mostly to prevent hair from sticking to the tape. I then measured it around their heads and secured with a smaller piece of tape to cover any exposed tape.

The kids then went into the bathroom to shape the straws how they wanted them. The boys added 3" pieces of wired stars to the inside of the straws, my daughter didn't want any because it made the straws heaver and she wanted hers to stick up strait.


Here is what they ended up with:




Hopefully with their "Circle me Bert" signs they made, they will make it onto TV on the 4th of July. They will also be wearing them to the fireworks later that night if they haven't destroyed them at the game!

No comments: