A craft blog about using up all the craft supplies I have stored in my basement. It literally looks like a Michael's store down there!

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Tie-Dying Fun


I forgot how much fun Tie-dying clothes can be. The above picture is of Matt winning his ribbon at the county fair for his tie-dyed underwear. You can tie-dye anything as long as it is 100% cotton! We have done pillow cases, socks, underwear, onesies, and t-shirts before. When I did daycare, we would have a tie-dye day every summer. All the daycare kids and the kids in the neighborhood would bring something to my driveway, and we would work on them all morning long.


I was remembering how fun it was when I was helping out my youngest at his preschool park day field trip. The three year olds were tie-dying t-shirts to remember their year at preschool. This is a picture of my son and our neighbor showing off their t-shirts at track & field day while we were watching their older siblings. The preschool had a different approach to tie-dying then I have done in the past.

I have always soaked the t-shirts in a soda ash bath to get the colors to pop. I used tie-dye kit that included everything and detailed instructions. I would normally purchase one kit with my 40% off coupon at Michael's every spring.

The preschool used an Easter egg dye with vinegar. Very smelly, and the colors were not as bright. I have to admit I have not washed the shirt yet, so I am not sure how the colors are going to stay. If they wash out, we will just redye it this summer. The kids need more underwear anyway!

No comments: